Municipi de Farrera
The total extension is 61.85 km2 and includes the villages of Farrera, Burg, Montesclado, Alendo, Mallolís and Glorieta. It also includes the Bordas (bothys) of Burg, Bedet and Tressó, the latter being the only ones occupied all year round by a single family.
50% of the territory is within the boundaries of the Natural Park of the High Pyrenees.
The Màniga Sierra and Peak (2515 m) dominate the landscape, along with "Ras de Font Negra" (2386 m), Col de Sò, and to the south, the "Cap de Juverri" (2,088 m) and the Urdossa Peak (2225 m).
The population has always been scarce, reaching its maximum in 469 inhabitants in 1930. Since then the decline in population was considerable until the 1980s.. Although the official population is 157 inhabitants (2010), there are about eighty people who live permanently in the municipàlity.
The economy has always has been agricultural in nature and consists mainly of sheep, cattle, horse and goat herds. Today, the few people who live in the valley continue farming although rural tourism, skiing and white water rafting also brings an income to some of the residents.
Ours is a high mountain climate, characterized by contrasts. Rainfall is fairly distributed throughout the year but most abundant in autumn and spring. The atmosphere is dry, which facilitates resistance to cold and heat. Winter can be harsh, with temperatures below zero at night and sometimes during the day. Snowfall can be heavy between late November and April.
The Valley has a rich heritage in Romanesque art, as characterised by the churches and chapels of Saint. Martin de Mallolís, Saint Eulalia of Alendo, Saint Roque of Farrera, Saint Maria de la Sierra, Saint. Stephen of Montesclado and San Quirze of Glorieta.
History: The earliest mentions of Alendo, Farrera and Burg, as among the parishes of the Tirbiense Valley, are from the act of consecration of the cathedral of Urgell, dated 819. The castles of Burg and Farrera were held in 1130 by Arnau III of the Pallars Sobirà, and later belonged to Vilamur. The Glorieta was first mentioned in the late thirteenth century. Viscount of Castellbò 1272, Roger Bernat III, who was also the Count of Foix, bought the counts of Pallars along with Tírvia and the Burg, hence the land followed the vicissitudes of all that belonged the viscount of Castellbò , including, since the fifteenth century, the barracks of Tírvia, the bailiwick of Burg and Mallolis, in addition to the Vall Ferrera and Ribalera. The territories of the viscount returned to the Crown in 1548, and Burg, Farrera Mallolís are listed in the census of 1718, under the jurisdiction of the king, while Montesclado (not previously mentioned) and Glorieta belonged to Joseph Copons. This situation is maintained according to Galobardes account of 1831, collected by Rocafort (Montesclado and Glorieta belonged to N. Copons and Cordelles, and elsewhere to the realm).
Access: The C-13 at Llavorsí (C-13) gives access to the L-504 towards the Vall Farrera and the Vall de Cardós. A right at the first roundabout, and then again soon after, leads one to Tírvia. In Tirvia, a left turn at the T-junction marks the start of the the climb towards Burg, Farrera and Alendo, or to Glorieta, Montesclado and Mallolis on the right. Continuing the path from Farrera leads to the Coll de Só and the bordes of the upper regions of the municipality and eventually Andorra.